|Contact Information |
Phone: (404) 752-1881
Fax: (404) 752-1064
Specialty: Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
Clinical Interest/Expertise: General internal medicine, adult diagnosis and management, obesity, diabetes, thyroid disease, fatigue, PMS, hyperlipidemia
Research Interest: Educational issues, teaching and assessing professionalism, educational methodology
Medical School: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Residency: John Hopkins and the National Institutes of Health
Board Certification: Internal Medicine (1983) and Endocrinology (1983)
- Elks, M.L. Effects of chronic palmitate perifusion on glucose-stimulated insulin release and glucose oxidation by rat islet cells, Endocrinology 133:208-214, 1993.
- Elks, M.L. The Key Role of ritual in Medicine, The Chronicle of Higher Education, XVLIV, 13:B9, 1997.
- Elks, M.L. Contemporary Management of Obesity, Carle Selected Papers 40:319-344 1997.
- Elks, M.L. Group Review in Differential Diagnosis, Academic Medicine 73:590-591, 1998.
- Elks, M.L. Morehouse School of Medicine, Academic Medicine September supplement 2000, S88-S89.
- 2003 Dean’s Outstanding Achievement in Teaching Award, Morehouse School of Medicine
- 2004 Second Year Teacher of the Year Award Morehouse School of Medicine
- 2004 Third Year Teacher of the Year Award Morehouse School of Medicine
- 2009 Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award