Simulation and Skills Training Center
The department has available three laparoscopic simulators for residents’ training. These are used to prepare our senior level residents for required testing of competency by the American Board of Surgery. All residents must pass the Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery testing in order to sit for their Boards upon graduation. Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) skills training for the residents are done by Drs. Patel and Danner. Preparations have been taken to also house simulators for colonoscopy, bronchoscopy and central venous catheter insertion.
Surgical Anatomy and Techniques Workshops
In conjunction with the Department of Anatomy, Saturday morning training sessions are held to enhance the surgical skills of the residents at all levels. The residents become familiar with surgical anatomy, techniques, instrumentation that they will encounter during their actual operative experience. They learn to use equipment and supplies normally used and already available at Grady Hospital.
Diverse Surgeons Initiative
Each year, at least two PGY-4 residents are recognized as top residents with an interest in advancing their skills in minimally invasive surgery. These residents are invited to attend the Endo-Surgery Institute's Diverse Surgeons Initiative training series directed by Dr. L.D. Britt and held in Cincinnati, OH.
Clinical and Scientific Research
The development of research, clinical and scientific, endeavors has been undertaken by encouraging a closer faculty and resident working relationship. This initiative is also necessary to enhance the regional and national exposure of the residents to facilitate an enhanced knowledge base, networking for future post-surgical training and employment, and collaborative clinical and scientific research efforts.
Stipends & Benefits
Morehouse School of Medicine stipends for our residents is very competitive. According to AAMC we are currently in the 75th percentile of salary ranges for residents in the south. Below is the current (2012-2013) stipend:
- PGY-1 . . . . . . . . . . . . $48,502
- PGY-2 . . . . . . . . . . . . $50,960
- PGY-3 . . . . . . . . . . . . $52,962
- PGY-4 . . . . . . . . . . . . $54,735
- PGY-5 . . . . . . . . . . . . $56,246
In addition, residents will receive the following additional support:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 403-B Retirement Fund
- Twice Annual Salary for Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Professional Disability Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- 15 Days of Annual Sick Leave with Stipend
- 15 Days of Annual Vacation with Stipend
- Free PALS Certification
- Free NRP Certification
- Free BLS Certification
- Free FLS Certification training and testing
- Counseling Services
- Opportunity for conference attendance as PGY-3, PGY-4, and PGY-5
- 2 sets of MSM scrubs
- 2 Laboratory Coats
- Annual in-service training exam
- Business cards
- White coats and graduation ceremonies
- Program sponsored social events
- Meal cards
- and more!