Post –Graduates | Commitment | Teaching Awards
The department's residents continue to perform well in local and regional academic presentation events.
- In August 2006, three MSM surgery residents, James Gonzales, MD, (PGY 3), Arundathi Rao, MD (PGY 4) and Kibwe Weaver, MD, (PGY 3) made presentations at the Drew-Walker Surgical Resident Forum of the National Medical Association held in Dallas, Texas. Drs. Rao and Weaver won the first and second place awards, respectively.
- In October 2006, Drs. Rao and Weaver also participated in the Top Gun Laparoscopic Surgery presentation during the " American College of Surgeons High School Mentoring Day" program held in Chicago, Illinois.
- Poster presentations for four MSM surgery residents: Reginald Williams, MD, (PGY 5) Arundathi Rao, MD, (PGY 4), James Gonzales, MD (PGY 3) and ShaMarick Blue, MD (PGY 2), were accepted and presented during the February 2007 Poster Session at the Scientific program of the Southeastern Surgical Congress held in Savannah, Georiga.
- In August 2007, April Spencer, MD (PGY 5) presented at the Drew-Walker Surgical Resident Forum of the National Medical Association held in Hawaii.
- In April 2008, Dr. Evelyn Kachikwu (PGY 4) presented at the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting held in San Diego, California and the Society of Black Academic Surgeons Annual Scientific Session held in Cleveland, Ohio.
The department is proud of the past graduates of the residency program who now are assuming leadership roles in major institutions. Graduating residents continue to land prestigious and highly sought after fellowship positions:
- Minimally Invasive and Gastrointestinal Surgery Fellowship (Boca Raton Community Hospital, Florida)
- Interdisciplinary Breast Cancer Fellowship (University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas)
- Advanced Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery Fellowship (INOVA Fairfax Hospital, University of Virginia, Virginia)
- CardioThoracic Fellowship (Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California)
- Hand Fellowship (University of Louisville, Kentucky)
To learn more about our current residents, review the categorical and preliminary residents link above for additional information.