This special announcement is to advise students, schools, parents and community partners that the Benjamin Carson Science Academy is currently restructuring its academic program. The program will not conduct summer or fall sessions in 2013. Please visit the website for updates and other notifications.
Jacqueline Scott, Ed. D.
Benjamin Carson Science Academy
The Ben Carson Science Academy provides an enrichment program for elementary and middle school students to enhance their knowledge of science, mathematics and health careers.
Students are involved in hands-on interactive activities that are designed to challenge them while making the learning of science and math fun.
The students also have an opportunity to explore health careers, participate in educational field trips, and participate in cultural activities. Some of the cultural activities in which students engage include Chess, African Dance, Capoeira (Brazilian martial arts), Spanish, Volleyball, and Robotics
The Academy offers the following opportunities for its participants:
- An overview of African and African-American contributions to medicine, science and mathematics.
- An analysis of cultural and social awareness.
- An opportunity to build self-esteem and academic confidence.
- An opportunity to experience and explore scientific concepts within an environment that is supportive and challenging.
- Entrance into an educational pipeline that extends from primary through post secondary education.
- Saturday Science Academy: A six-week Saturday program during the fall and spring months of the regular school year. Students are invited to participate in hands on science activities that captivate and stimulate their natural curiosity. Students are tested on their aptitude for the science content presented over the course of six weeks and have the option to participate in chess or math instruction in the afternoons. The fall program begins in late September and runs through November. The spring program begins in February and runs through March.
The summer program is a four week program beginning in the first week of June. The program offers science fair project development, exciting classroom activities, laboratory activities, educational field trips, and motivational speakers.
The summer academy is an exciting learning experience for students in a classroom structured environment. Applications for the summer program are available in March.
Students are recruited to the program when they finish the third grade and continue through the eighth grade. In order to be considered for the program all students must complete an application. Students are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Regular school attendance
- Aptitude and interest in science
- Be a candidate for promotion
- Recommendation of teacher, especially science teacher
- Elementary students are required to have a C+ average
- Middle School students are required to have a B average
- Fall Application Deadline: Applications accepted until September 15th.
- Spring Application Deadline: Applications accepted until December 15th.
- Summer Application Deadline: Applications accepted until March 15th. Fees are due AFTER notice of acceptance
(NO PERSONAL CHECKS)
Scholarships & Discounts
- Morehouse School of Medicine Employees receive a 20% discount for their children.
- There are no scholarships available at this time; however sponsor letters are available upon request AFTER acceptance.
Hours of Operation
Summer Session: 8:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. *LATE CHARGES WILL APPLY FOR ALL SESSIONS
Drop-off time: 8:00 a.m. - 8:20 a.m.
Pick-up time: 3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Fall & Spring Session: 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Drop-off time: 9:10 a.m. - 9:20 a.m.
Pick-up time: No later than 12:15 p.m.
Phone: (404) 752-1590
NOTE: Please review and print "Ben Carson Academy Application Instructions" before completing the "Ben Carson Academy Application."