| || |
University of Miami, Coral Gable, FL
BS, Chemistry, 1977
Loyola Univ. School of Medicine, Maywood, IL
MD, Medicine, 1981
University of Illinois School of Public Health, Chicago, IL
MPH, Public Health, 1988
I have dedicated my career as a family practice physician to improving healthcare access, quality, and outcomes for low-income and uninsured segments of the population. I am board-certified in both Family Practice and Preventive Medicine. I have spent the past two decades years teaching, doctoring, researching, and developing programs at the Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM). Currently, I am a Professor of Family Medicine with a joint faculty appointment in the Department of Community Health and Preventive Medicine; and founding Director of the National Center for Primary Care and Faculty Development program. Additionally, I am the board chair of the Atlanta Community Access Coalition and co-chair of Georgia’s Minority Health Advisory Council, where I played a key role in development of the Georgia Health Disparities Report in 2008.
For the past 13 years, I have been intricately involved in the development and planning of our Annual Primary Care and Prevention Conference. I have built bridges between the academic arena and the front lines of primary care by developing training programs and health quality-outcomes research partnerships between MSM and networks of community and migrant health centers. I authored over 50 peer-reviewed publications related to primary care, health disparities, and underserved populations. In 2007, I received the national leadership award from the Disease Management Association of America (DMAA), and the 2009 ACT award for my devoted time, efforts, and advocacy from the Georgia Asian Pacific Islander Community Coalition (GAAPICC).
2004: Master Teacher & Leader Award, Morehouse SoM Faculty Development Program.
2006: William H. Cleveland Faculty of the Year Award for Clinical Teaching; Morehouse School of Medicine (MSoM) Family Practice Residency Program.
2006: Outstanding Mentor Award, Morehouse SoM Master’s of Clinical Research Program.
2007: Outstanding Physician Leadership in Disease Management, Disease Management Association of America (DMAA), Las Vegas NV, Sept. 2007.
2006-2008: Co-Chair, Georgia Minority Health Advisory Council, Dept. of Community Health
2009: ACT Award for Leadership in Health for Asian communities; Pan Asian Community Services and the Georgia Asian Pacific Islander Community Coalition; Atlanta, GA.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Rust G, Ye J, Baltrus P, Daniels E, Adesunloye B, Fryer GE. Practical barriers to timely primary care access: impact on adult use of emergency department services. Arch Intern Med. 2008 Aug 11;168(15):1705-10.
- Rust G, Gailor M, Daniels E, McMillan-Persaud B, Strothers H, Mayberry R. Point of care testing to improve glycemic control. Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2008;21(3):325-35.
- King WD, Minor P, Ramirez Kitchen C, Oré LE, Shoptaw S, Victorianne GD, Rust G. Racial, gender and geographic disparities of antiretroviral treatment among US Medicaid enrollees in 1998. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008 Sep;62(9):798-803.
- Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Fryer GE Jr, Rust G, Satcher D. The health impact of resolving racial disparities: an analysis of US mortality data. Am J Public Health. 2008 Sep;98(9 Suppl):S26-8.
- Levine RS, Kilbourne BE, Baltrus PA, Williams-Brown S, Caplan L, Briggs NC, Roberts K, Husaini BA, Rust G. Black-white disparities in elderly breast cancer mortality before and after implementation of medicare benefits for screening mammography. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2008 Feb;19(1):103-34.
- Shim RS, Baltrus P, Ye J, Rust G. Prevalence, Treatment, and Control of Depressive Symptoms in the United States: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2005-2008. J Am Board Fam Med, Jan/Feb 2011; 24(1):33-38.
- Ye J, Rust G, Baltrus P, Daniels E. Cardiovascular risk factors among Asian Americans: results from a National Health Survey. Ann Epidemiol. 2009; Oct;19(10):718-23.
- Leon K, McDonald MC, Moore B, Rust G. Disparities in influenza treatment among disabled Medicaid patients in Georgia. Am J Public Health. 2009 Oct;9 Suppl 2:S378-82.
- Rust G, Satcher D, Levine RS, and Blumenthal D. Triangulating on Success: Research Innovation, Public Health, & Medical Care vs. Declines in Disease-Specific Mortality Rates, 1950-2000. AJPH, April 2010.
- Levine RS, Rust GS, Pisu M, Agboto V, Baltrus PA, Briggs NC, Zoorob R, Juarez P, Hull PC, Goldzweig I, Hennekens CH. Increased Black-White disparities in mortality after the introduction of lifesaving innovations: a possible consequence of US federal laws. Am J Public Health. 2010 Nov;100(11):2176-84. Epub 2010 Sep 23. PubMed PMID: 20864727; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2951928.
- Fry-Johnson YW, Levine R, Rowley D, Agboto V, Rust G. United States black:white infant mortality disparities are not inevitable: identification of community resilience independent of socioeconomic status. Ethn Dis. Winter, 2010. 20(1 Suppl 1):S1-131-5.
- Levine RS, Rust GS, Pisu M, Agboto V, Baltrus PA, Briggs NC, Zoorob R, Juarez P, Hull PC, Goldzweig I, Hennekens CH. Increased Black-White disparities in mortality after the introduction of lifesaving innovations: a possible consequence of US federal laws. Am J Public Health. 2010 Nov;100(11):2176-84.
- Shim RS, Baltrus P, Ye J, Rust G. Prevalence, treatment, and control of depressive symptoms in the United States: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2005-2008. J Am Board Fam Med. 2011 Jan-Feb;24(1):33-8. PubMed PMID: 21209342; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3161724.
- Rust G, Strothers H, Miller WJ, McLaren S, Moore B, Sambamoorthi U. Economic Impact of a Medicaid Population Health Management Program. Popul Health Manag.2011 Apr 20. PubMed PMID: 21506728. PMC3186702
- Wilkins TL, Rust GS, Sambamoorthi U. Changing BMI Categories and Healthcare Expenditures Among Elderly Medicare Beneficiaries. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Apr 28. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21527898.
- Druss BG, Zhao L, Cummings JR, Shim RS, Rust GS, Marcus SC. Mental Comorbidity and Quality of Diabetes Care Under Medicaid: A 50-state Analysis. Med Care. 2012 Jan 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 2222824