| || |
College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA
BS, Psychology, 1999
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
MD, Medicine, 2003
Rollins School of Public Health at Emory, Atlanta, GA
MPH, Health Policy, 2008
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
1999 - 2003: Member, Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
2000 - 2001: President, Emory University School of Medicine Chapter of SNMA
1999 - 2003: Member, American Medical Student Association
2000 - 2003: Member, Physicians for Social Responsibility Activist Network
2002 - Present: Member, Georgia Psychiatric Physicians Association
2002: Member, American Association of Community Psychiatrists
2002 - Present: Member, American Psychiatric Association
2005 - Present: Member, Black Psychiatrists of America, Inc.
2005 - 2006: Resident Member, Residency Education Committee, Emory University Department of Psychiatry
2005 - 2006: President, Resident Housestaff, Emory University Department of Pyschiatry
2006 – 2010: Member/Secretary, Board of Directors, Positive Impact, Inc.
2009 - Present: Member, Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry
1999: Tradition of Service Award, College of William & Mary
1999: Benjamin Stoddard Ewell Award, College of William & Mary
1999 – 2003: Dean’s Scholarship, Emory University School of Medicine
2001: Erich G. Randolph Scholarship, Emory University School of Medicine
2002: F. Conyers Thompson Jr. Scholarship, Emory University School of Medicine
2003: Eldon L. Bolton, MD Service Award, Emory University School of Medicine
2005 – 2007: American Psychiatric Association/GlaxoSmithKline Fellowship
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
- Esterberg ML, Compton MT, McGee R, Shim R, Hochman K: Knowledge about schizophrenia and social distance toward individuals with schizophrenia among urban African American community members. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 14(2):86-93, 2008.
- Shim RS, Compton MT, Rust G, Druss BG, Kaslow NJ.: Race-Ethnicity as a predictor of attitudes toward mental health treatment-seeking. Psychiatric Services. 60 (10): 1336, 2009.
- Shim RS and Compton MT: Pilot testing and preliminary evaluation of a suicide prevention education program for emergency department personnel. Community Mental Health Journal. 46 (6): 585-590, 2010.
- Compton MT, Ramsay CE, Shim RS, Goulding SM, Gordon TL, Weiss PS, Druss BG: Health services determinants of the duration of untreated psychosis among African American first episode patients. Psychiatric Services. 60 (11): 1489, 2009
- Compton MT, Gordon TL, Goulding SM, Esterberg ML, Carter T, Leiner AS, Shim RS, Weiss PS, Druss B, Walker EF, Kaslow NJ. Patient-, Family-, and Services-Level Predictors of the Duration of Untreated Psychosis, Schizophrenia Research, 117(2-3): 289, 2010.
- Baltrus PT, Shim RS, Ye J, Watson L, Davis SK. Socioeconomic position, stress, and cortisol in relation to waist circumference in African American and white women. Ethnicity & Disease, 20(4): 376, 2010.
- Ye J and Shim R. Perceptions of Health Care Communication: Examining the Role of Patients’ Psychological Distress. Journal of the National Medical Association, 102(12): 1237, 2010.
- Shim RS, Baltrus P, Ye J, Rust G. Prevalence, treatment, and control of depressive symptoms in the United States: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2005-2008. J Am Board Fam Med. 2011 Jan-Feb;24(1):33-8. PubMed PMID: 21209342. PMC3161724. NIHMSID: NIHMS288069
- Shim RS, Baltrus P, Bradford LD, Holden KB, Fresh E, Fuller LE. Characterizing Depression and Co-Morbid Medical Conditions in African American Women in a Primary Care Setting. The Journal of the National Medical Association (in press).
- Druss BG, Zhao L, Cummings JR, Shim RS, Rust GS, Marcus SC. Mental Comorbidity and Quality of Diabetes Care Under Medicaid: A 50-state Analysis. Med Care. 2012 Jan 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22228248 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]