This facility is equipped to provide basic histological services including: paraffin embedding, paraffin sections, frozen sections, immunohistochemical and H&E staining, and in situ hybridization. The facility consists of a paraffin tissue embedding center, rotary microtomes, cryostat, tissue floatation bath, microwave, tissue processor, and slide warmers.
The investigator is responsible for the fixation and blocking of the tissue. For routine fixation it is recommended that the tissue is fixed with a fresh solution of 10% neutral buffered formalin or paraformaldehyde. For best results, it is recommended that the fixatives be purchased in small quantities. (Contact the laboratory for details).
For frozen tissue preparations contact the laboratory.
Summary of Charges
- Paraffin: Embedding $5/block
- Cut, Stain, Coverslip: First slide $4; additional stained slide from same block $2, unstained $1
- Frozen: Unstained section: $3/slide, additional sections on same slide $1/section
- Floating frozen section: Mounted & coverslip $2/slide
- User cut their sections: $20 per hour
Dr. John Patrickson
Molecular Histology Core Leader
Phone: (404) 752-5717
Phone: (404) 752-1146