University of Texas School of Public Health
Fellowship: Health disparities and cancer treatment
Baylor College of Medicine
Fellowship: Gene-diet interaction on body weight and body mass index
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, Texas
Degree: Ph.D., Epidemiology
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Degree: Master of Science, Health Education and Promotion
Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Michigan
Degree: Bachelor of Science, Food & Nutrition & Dietetics: CUP program
- 2018- Associate Professor, Morehouse School of Medicine
- 2013-2017 Assistant Professor, Augusta University, Augusta, GA.
- 2010-2012 Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Family Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston.
- 2008-2010 Post Doctoral Fellow/Research Associate, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston.
- 2006-2008 Research Associate, Research Institute, Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX.
- 2004-2006 Research Associate, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- 2012-2013 Nutrition Consultant, Medical Nutrition and Diabetic Services, Houston, TX.
- 2000-2004 Chief Clinical Dietitian, Food and Nutrition, Harris County Psychiatric Center, Houston, TX.
- 2001-2008 Consultant Dietitian, Matria Diabetes Center, Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1997-2000 Consultant Dietitian, Martin Luther Homes of Texas, Gulf Coast Center, MHMRA, Houston, TX.
- 1997-2013 Consultant Dietitian, Bay Area Recovery Center, Dickinson, TX.
- 1996-1997 Registered Dietitian/Diabetes Educator, Macgregor Medical Association, Houston, TX.
- 1990-1996 Senior Clinical Dietitian, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX.
- 1987-1990 Clinical Dietitian, St. Mary Hospital, Port Arthur, TX.
- 1987-1990 Senior Citizens Nutrition Consultant, Port Arthur, TX.
- Articles In Press/ Published in Peer-Review Scientific Journals 1. Dale S. Hardy, Devita T. Stallings, Jane T. Garvin, Hongyan Xu, Susan B. Racette. Best Anthropometric Discriminators of Incident Type 2 Diabetes among White and Black Adults: A Longitudinal ARIC Study. PLOS ONE, 2017; 12:1-12.
- Hardy D, Stallings D, Gachupin F, Garvin J, Xu H, Racette S. Anthropometric discriminators of type 2 diabetes in White and Black adults. J Diabetes. 2016; 9:296-307.
- Garvin JT, Hardy D, Xu H. Initial Response to Program, Program Participation, and Weight Reduction Among 375 MOVE! Participants, Augusta, Georgia 2008-2010. Prev Chronic Dis. 2016;13:150598
- Coughlin SS, Hardy D, Caplan LS. The need for culturally-tailored smartphone applications for weight control. Ja Ga Public Health Assoc. 2016; 5:228-232.
- Du XL, Zhang Y, Hardy D. Associations between Hematopoietic Growth Factors and Risks of Venous Thromboembolism, Stroke, Heart Disease and Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Findings from a Large Population-based Cohort of Women with Breast Cancer. Cancer Causes and Control. 2016 May;27(5):695-707. Epub 2016 Apr 8.
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Moderated poster presenter at the American Diabetes Association conference, June 8, 2019.
- 2016 Early career committee member for the American Heart Association.
- 2014 Chair of a manuscript writing group in PRIDE (Programs to Increase Diversity among Individuals Engaged in Health-Related Research)
- 2013 PRIDE scholar in cardiovascular disease genetics
- 2012 Employee recognition for outstanding performance, Honorable mentioned, Baylor College of Medicine.
- 2011 Media recognition: Scientific article by Dale Hardy et al. recognized by ASCO Clinical Oncology Journal, AHRQ, and NIH publication committees: Racial disparities, geographic and socioeconomic status variation and use of hospice services in an elderly cohort with non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer. 2011;117:1506-15.
- 2010 Recipient of bridge funding from University of Texas School of Public Health.
- 2010 Merit award for outstanding performance, University of Texas School of Public Health.
- 2009 Media recognition: Scientific article by Dale Hardy et al. recognized by over 50 newspapers, AHRQ, and NIH publications committees: Racial Disparities and Treatment Trends in a Large Cohort of Elderly Black and White Patients with Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer. Cancer. 2009;115:2199-2212.
- 2006,2007 Training development award, University of Texas School of Public Health.
- 1995 Dietitian of the year award, UTMB, Galveston, TX.
- 1989 Employee recognition award, St. Mary Hospital, Port Arthur, TX