Medical Student Clerkship
This 8-week rotation aims to provide:
- Both in-patient and ambulatory experience to third year medical students in all areas of obstetrics and gynecology
- A sound background in obstetrics and gynecology that will enable them successfully sit for the licensing examinations and care for their female patients in their future practices
- To help students develop proficiency in eliciting a complete obstetrical history and performing a thorough physical examination.
- To help familiarize students with the:
- Physiology and endocrinology of pregnancy.
- Routine ante partum management of normal obstetrical patients.
- Commonly encountered high risk obstetrical conditions such as diabetes in pregnancy, preeclampsia, and preterm delivery.
- Management of labor and delivery in normal and select high risk obstetrical patients.
- Postpartum care of all obstetrical patients.
- To aid the students in developing proficiency in eliciting a complete gynecologic history and performing non traumatic and accurate breast and pelvic examinations.
- To provide opportunity for students to develop proficiency in obtaining pap smears as well as the management of abnormal cervical cytology.
- To provide instruction in the pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis and management of benign and malignant gynecologic diseases.
- To enhance knowledge of pelvic anatomy.
- To provide exposure to common gynecologic conditions such as abnormal uterine bleeding, contraceptive care, pelvic masses and well woman care.
- To familiarize students with the common causes of infertility, the basic work-up of an infertile couple and common gynecologic endocrinology conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome and amenorrhea.