MSM Leadership Academy
The overarching goal of the MSM-LA is to establish a leadership development program customized for MSM that will enable employees at mid- and senior levels (both staff and faculty) in all disciplines to obtain and/or further develop the skills needed to execute their roles at MSM with a stronger position of empowerment.
- Be nominated by a member of the MSM Leadership Council.
- Be employed by MSM for at least 12 months.
- Have a documented 3.0 or higher on performance evaluations.
- Be on the faculty at the associate professor rank or above or staff at the coordinator, manager, director or similar level.
- A formal announcement will be released in October 2020 soliciting nominations from members of the Leadership Council for MSM faculty and staff from their unit(s). The nominating manager will also submit a letter of support.
- Applicants must complete the online application process and provide names of two internal references.
- A maximum of 10 applicants will be selected to participate in the MSM-LA.
- The program will officially begin March 2021
- The MSM-LA is an eight-month program using both online and in-person modalities. The in-person sessions occur every four weeks.
- The MSM-LA curriculum is designed to develop and strengthen essential qualities for leadership at all levels, with an emphasis on implementation of those attributes at MSM. The curriculum is below.
|Month||Focus||Activity||Modality / Frequency *|
|Month 1||Understanding Your Leadership Style||Personality Type and Assessment (MBTI and 360)||OL|
|Determine Your Leadership Style||IP|
|Month 2||Manage as a Leader||Time Management||IP|
|Team Building Skills||IP/OL|
|Team Building Simulation #1||or higher|
|Month 3||Communicate as a Leader||Effective Communication||IP|
|Team Building Simulation #2||IP|
|Institutional Action Project (IAP)—Part 1: Guidelines and Formation of Teams||IP/OL|
|Month 4||Decision-making as a Leader||Conflict Management and Decision-Making||IP|
|Institutional Action Project (IAP)—Part 2: Submission of Title and Abstract||IP/OL|
|Mid-Progress Reflections and Assessment||OL|
|Month 5||Influence as a Leader||Networking and Collaboration Skills||IP|
|Team Building Simulation #3||IP|
|Month 6||Understand Finance as a Leader||Budget Development and Institutional Finance||IP|
|Institutional Action Project (IAP)—Part 3: Progress Report||OL|
|Month 7||Being a Leader at MSM||Health Equity and the MSM Employee||IP|
|Understanding the MSM Brand||IP|
|MSM Marketing and Institutional Advancement in Health Equity||IP|
|Month 8||The Entire Leader||Institutional Action Project (IAP)—Part 4: Presentation and Final Report||IP|
|Leadership Academy End of Year Reception||IP|
* Modality/Frequency: OL: On-line; IP: In-person, every 2 weeks
All participants will implement team-based Institutional Enhancement Projects to apply the skills that they have obtained from the program. The IEP will accomplish one of the following: (1) Enhance an aspect of the MSM environment; (2) Enhance the surrounding community of MSM, or (3) Resolve an institutional challenge at MSM.
IEP proposals are reviewed and approved by the MSM-LA review committee prior to implementation. Participants formally present their IEPs at the MSM-LA graduation ceremony in May 2020. Specific guidelines for developing the IEP will be provided to participants midway through the program.