Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Responsibilities and Functions:
- Primary review of all research protocols that involve human participants.
- Authority to approve, require modifications, or disapprove research activities that involve human participants.
- Authority to suspend or terminate approval of research that involves human participants that is not conducted in accordance with requirements.
- Coordinates ethics-related educational activities.
- Determines level of review for each study that involves human participants (full board, expedited, exempt, not research).
- Communicates with reviewers, committee members, investigators, and study staff.
- One committee oversees biomedical studies and the other committee oversees studies that are considered social and behavioral sciences research.
- Ensures that committee membership conforms to current federal regulations and federal agency requirements.
- IRB Function & Membership
- IRB Submission
- IRB Training & Education
- IRB Policy & Regulation
- IRB News & Updates
- IRB Resource Materials
- IRB Contact Info
John C. Smith, MSW, CIM, CIP
Hugh Gloster 122