Morehouse School of Medicine
Residency: Internal Medicine
T.D Medical College, Alappuzha, Kerala University, India.
Degree: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement projects
Board CertificationInternal Medicine
Published Journal Articles
- Letter to the editor American Medical Journal - Metformin in Chronic Kidney Disease
– Should We Worry?
- Iatrogenic hypernatremia in hemodialysis patients: A result of erroneous online conductivity monitor and conductivity meter reading Chamberlain I. Obialo, Smitha John, Khalid Bashir Hemodialysis International http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/exportCitation/doi/10.1111/hdi.12546
- “Provider Medication Use Changes for Better and Worse with Education” Sunanda Sarkar, Catherine Barnes, Jane Caudle, Smitha M John, Kyra Clark, Erica Heiman,Judith Volcy, Stacie Schmidt and David Ziemer Diabetes 2019 June;68(Supplement 1): 670- P https://doi.org/10.2337/db19-670-P
- “Provider Medication Use Changes for Better and Worse with Education”Sunanda Sarkar, Catherine Barnes, Jane Caudle, Smitha M John, Kyra Clark, Erica Heiman,Judith Volcy, Stacie Schmidt and David Ziemer Bridging Diabetes Research with Ground Breaking Discoveries American Diabetes Association 79th Scientific session, San Francisco, CA
- Ngo Q, Huh E, John S “Not just a simple ground level fall” poster presentation at Mr William .E. Booth and Dr James Zaidan Resident Research Day at Grady in May 2018.
- Patel S, Cheeley MK, Akbashev M, John S. “Establishment of One-of-a-kind Group Patient Education Class for Direct Oral Anticoagulants Follow-up” Presented at 4 th Biennial Summit of Thrombosis and Hemostasis Societies of North America, San Diego, CA Mar 2018
- “Occurrence of Familial Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) in patients with Frontotemporal Dementia” Quoc Vinh Ngo M.D, Suaka Kagbo Kue, M.D, Eric Huh, MD, Smitha John M.D. Poster presentation at ACP Georgia scientific meeting, Savannah, GA, 2017
- Patel S, Cheeley MK, Akbashev M, John S. “How to Manage a Drug class that Doesn’t Have to be Managed: Follow-up for Direct Oral Anticoagulants” Presented at 14th Anticoagulation Forum National Conference, Los Angeles, CA. April 2017
- M.Akbashev, John, S., Southern Hospital Medicine Conference in Atlanta, "Referring Provider Perceptions of an Inner City, Academic Hospital based Anti-Coagulation Clinic," Poster presentation at Society of Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. (October 13, 2016).
- Mankikar, R., John, S., Flenaugh, E., Pulmonary Alveolar Proteinosis: A Unique Treatment (Explaining the use of BAL as an alternative to Whole Lung Lavage in this rare disorder.) Poster Presentation at the ACP Georgia Chapter Scientific Meeting, Lake Lanier Islands, GA, October 2012.
Honors and Awards
- Elected as Fellow of American College of Physicians, July 2018
- Grady was awarded Anticoagulation center of Excellence (ACE) in Nov 2017 while serving as Co-Director for the Anticoagulation Clinic at Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Outstanding Resident Performance in Primary Care, Mar 2013 Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Second place in Georgia ACP Resident Jeopardy Competition, Oct 2012 ACP Georgia Chapter Scientific Meeting, Lake Lanier Islands, GA
- Dr Chinedu Ivonye Award for Outstanding Resident Performance in In-Service Examination 2010- 2013 Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Intern of the Month, Aug 2010 Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA