Appointments: Research Fellow - Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Clinical Fellow of the American Cancer Society
Wyler's Children's Hospital, Chicago, IL
Residency: Senior Supervisory Resident
University of Chicago Hospitals/Clinics
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
Degree: Doctor of Medicine
State University of New York at Stony Break
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Biology
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Board CertificationAmerican Board of Pediatrics
PublicationsFialkow, P.J., Singer, J.W., Adamson, J.W., Berkow, R.L., Friedman, J.M., Jacobson, R.J., Moohr, J.W.: Acute nonlymphocytic leukemia, expression in cells restricted to granulocytic and monocytic differentiation. N Engl J Med 30l:l-5,l979.
Berkow, R.L. and Chilcote, R.B.: Bleeding and disseminated intra-vascular coagulation in the neonate (In) Perinatal Medicine, (Rathi/Kimar ed.) Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, Washington, D.C., l980.
Tuman, K.J., Chilcote, R.R., Berkow, R.L. and Moohr, J.W.: Mesothelioma in a child with prenatal exposure to Isoniazid. Lancet 2:362, l980.
Berkow, R.L. and Fleshman, J.K.: Retinoblastoma in Navajo Indian children. Am J Dis Child l37:l37-138, l983.
Berkow, R.L., Weisman, S.J., Provisor, A.J., Weetman, R.M. and Baehner, R.L.: Invasive aspergillosis of paranasal tissues in children with malignancy. J of Peds l03:49-53, l983.
Honors and Awards
- 1994 UAB Presidential Award for Excellence in Education
- 1994 Best Clinical Teaching Faculty 1996 Argus Society Award for Best Pediatric Faculty
- 1998 Most Outstanding Clinical Professor (Chosen by UASOM Class of 1998)
- 1998 UAB Presidential Award for Excellence in Education
- 1999 Argus Society Award for Best Pediatric Faculty
- 2000 Argus Society Award for Best Pediatric Faculty
- 2008 Roger Berkow Award for Leadership
- 2011 Special Recognition Certificate, American Academy of Pediatrics, Education Award Subcommittee
- 2011 Department of Pediatrics Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2012 Department of Pediatrics Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2013 Special Recognition Certificate, American Academy of Pediatrics, Education Award Subcommittee
- 2013 Wallace Clyde Award for lifetime achievement in Pediatrics awarded by the Childrens Hospital of Alabama and the UAB Department of Pediatrics
- 2014 Special Recognition Certificate, American Academy of Pediatrics, Education
- 2014 Edith Levitt Distinguished Service Award from National Board of Medical Examiners
- 2020 Department of Defense, Patriotic Employer Award for Training Military Personnel