ROEO: In Its 8th Year at Grady!
Dr. Omar K. Danner, Program Director ROEO, Professor & Chief of Surgery, and Director of Trauma for MSM
In its eighth year, the Reach One Each One (ROEO) program, is a flagship medical mentoring experience for Metro Atlanta high school students. It is a signature outreach initiative of Grady Health System, Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM), and Emory University School of Medicine (EUSOM). The purpose of ROEO is to introduce and expose high-performing high school students, from underrepresented backgrounds who are potentially interested in pursuing healthcare careers, to various specialties and career opportunities in the field of medicine and healthcare. During this intensive 11-week program, participants receive the following:
- An overview of the path to medical and other allied health schools;
- Comprehensive exposure to career opportunities and professionals in the field of healthcare;
- A healthcare professional career day and a financial literacy seminar (compliments of Fifth Third Bank)
- A tour of MSM and EUSOM;
- Experience in a skills lab with hands-on simulation, knot tying, and casting; certification in Bleeding Control;
- And multidisciplinary clinical rotations in emergency medicine, internal medicine, neuroscience and critical care, obstetrics and gynecology, and surgery & anesthesiology.
The program culminates with a white coat graduation ceremony in December and there is ongoing mentoring support after the program concludes.
The ROEO program affords students a once-in-a-lifetime experience and provides motivated, bright teen-agers, an opportunity to experience healthcare up close and personal through various interactions with doctors, nurses, therapist, trainees and students from all age groups, genders and walks of life. The ROEO program is also highly acclaimed for the mentorship, guidance and career coaching that it provides.
Former ROEO students have used this experience to sharpen their academic focus, broaden their perspective on career opportunities, and enhance their scholarly profiles and competitiveness for some of the top scholarship and acceptance to some of the top colleges and universities in the country. Thus far, three of our former students have received the Gates Millennial Scholarships, which provides full coverage for four years to the college or university of their choice. We are so fortunate to be able to provide access to a cutting-edge program like this to our young people. It is truly a joyous experience for all who support and touch this program.