Frequently Asked Questions About the Library
- Who is eligible to use the library?
All faculty, residents, staff and students of Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM) may borrow from and use the library collection. The medical community is permitted and encouraged to use materials, however, an MSM library ‘Daily Pass’ must first be obtained by completing an application at the main security office in the parking deck. The library is available to Atlanta University Center students 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, Saturday 12:00 pm to 7:30 pm, and Sunday 2 pm to 7:30 pm. Atlanta University Center students working/associated with MSM’s intuitionally-based programs can access the Library after 5:00 pm. AUC students should register at the Circulation Desk upon entering the library. Also, the public may use the library from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Public users will need a ‘Daily Visitor Pass’, which you may obtain by following the procedures at the main security office in the parking deck. The Library is badge accessible to Morehouse School of Medicine personnel when the main entrance is closed.
- What is necessary in order to register to use the library?
You will need a valid unexpired identification badge, with a library barcode affixed to the back.
- Where does one register?
You may register at the Circulation desk in the library.
- When is the Library open?
Study rooms and Public area are open 24/7.
Day Service hours Monday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Tuesday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Wednesday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Thursday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Saturday 12 p.m. - 8 p.m. Sunday 2 p.m. - 7 .m.
The library observes special hours for exam times, holidays and intercessions.
- Where is the Library located?
The library is located on the first floor of the Medical Education Building, 720 Westview Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310-1495
- What is the circulation period for items borrowed from the library?
Circulation periods are:
- Audio Visuals - 3 days
- Books - 28 days
- Bound Journals - 3 days
- Reserve Items - 3 hours in-house
- Reserve Items (overnight checkout) - 1 hour before closing
Fines for books and journals will accrue at a rate of $1.00 per day per item.
Fines for reserve items will accrue at a rate of $2.50 per hour per item.
- Unbound journals do not circulate.
- Reference items do not circulate.
- CD-ROMs do not circulate.
- How do I renew materials?
- Renewing materials by phone - You may renew library materials by calling the circulation
desk at (404) 752-1536. Please have your barcode (look on the back of your ID) ready.
Items can be renewed only twice over the phone.
- Renewing materials in person - You may renew library materials in person at the circulation desk in the library.
- Renewing materials by phone - You may renew library materials by calling the circulation desk at (404) 752-1536. Please have your barcode (look on the back of your ID) ready. Items can be renewed only twice over the phone.
- How much are photocopies?
Copy machines are available for copying and printing from the public access computers and may be activated by a copy card, currency, or coins. Copying or printing is charged at a rate of $.10 cents per page. Copy cards may be purchased from the Venda-Coder card dispenser in the library or via pre-approved requisition through the business office. Color copies may be made for a charge of $.75 cents per page.
- How do I find a book or journal?
CyberToolsforLibraries is the library's online catalog system that contains information about library holdings. In CyberTools you may search for library materials by author, subject, title or keyword. The online catalog will give you the call number to locate the item and will let you know if the item is available for checkout. Learn more on how to use the MSM Library Online Catalog.