Frequently Asked Questions About the Library
- Who is eligible to use the library?
All faculty, residents, staff and students of Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM) may borrow from and use the library collection. The medical community is permitted and encouraged to use materials, however, an MSM library ‘Daily Pass’ must first be obtained by completing an application at the main security office in the parking deck. The library is available to Atlanta University Center students 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, Saturday 12:00 pm to 7:30 pm, and Sunday 2 pm to 7:30 pm. Atlanta University Center students working/associated with MSM’s intuitionally-based programs can access the Library after 5:00 pm. AUC students should register at the Circulation Desk upon entering the library. Also, the public may use the library from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Public users will need a ‘Daily Visitor Pass’, which you may obtain by following the procedures at the main security office in the parking deck. The Library is badge accessible to Morehouse School of Medicine personnel when the main entrance is closed.
- How do I book a library room?
Reservation Guidelines for MSM Study Space
*To request study space in the M. Delmar Edwards, M.D. Library you must make a reservation online at https://morehouseschoolofmedicine.setmore.com
*Study space reservations are available on a first come first serve basis.
*Study space reservations are free of charge for all students enrolled in Morehouse School of Medicine.
*Reservations must be made 3 days in advance.
*Maximum of 2 people allowed per study room. If two people will be studying together, both names should be included in the reservation.
• Practice social distancing by avoiding no more than 8 people in any large gathering in open areas of the library and maintaining distance.
• All reservations for study space are 2 hours and 30 minutes.
• Adhere to signage and please do not move any furniture from social distancing designated locations
• When you arrive for your reservation, call the Library's Information desk at 404-752-1536 for entry.
This helps us ensure patrons have a reservation and is very important for nights & weekends when only one person is working per shift.
Please note: The Library Conference Room and E-Lab must be reserved by contacting the library directly at email@example.com or 404-752-1536.
To ensure safety please be sure to adhere to the following:
•Cloth face covering is required.
•You must disinfect the room and gather your belongings within the allotted timeframe.
•Disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces utilizing the sanitized wipes available in the study rooms.
- What is necessary in order to register to use the library?
You will need a valid unexpired identification badge, with a library barcode affixed to the back. Please register at the Library Circulation desk.
- When is the Library open?
Study rooms and Public area are open 24/7.
Day Service hours Monday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Tuesday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Wednesday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Thursday 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Saturday 12 p.m. - 8 p.m. Sunday 12 p.m. - 8 .m.
The library observes special hours for exam times, holidays and intercessions.
- Where is the Library located?
The library is located on the first floor of the Medical Education Building, 720 Westview Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310-1495
- What is the circulation period for items borrowed from the library?
Circulation periods are:
- Audio Visuals - 3 days
- Books - 28 days
- Bound Journals - 3 days
- Reserve Items - 3 hours in-house
- Reserve Items (overnight checkout) - 1 hour before closing
Fines for books and journals will accrue at a rate of $1.00 per day per item.
Fines for reserve items will accrue at a rate of $2.50 per hour per item.
- Unbound journals do not circulate.
- Reference items do not circulate.
- CD-ROMs do not circulate.
- How do I renew materials?
- Renewing materials by phone - You may renew library materials by calling the circulation
desk at (404) 752-1536. Please have your barcode (look on the back of your ID) ready.
Items can be renewed only twice over the phone.
- Renewing materials in person - You may renew library materials in person at the circulation desk in the library.
- Renewing materials by phone - You may renew library materials by calling the circulation desk at (404) 752-1536. Please have your barcode (look on the back of your ID) ready. Items can be renewed only twice over the phone.
- How much are photocopies?
Copy machines are available for copying and printing from the public access computers and may be activated by a copy card, currency, or coins. Copying or printing is charged at a rate of $.10 cents per page. Copy cards may be purchased from the Venda-Coder card dispenser in the library or via pre-approved requisition through the business office. Color copies may be made for a charge of $.75 cents per page.
- How do I find a book or journal?
CyberToolsforLibraries is the library's online catalog system that contains information about library holdings. In CyberTools you may search for library materials by author, subject, title or keyword. The online catalog will give you the call number to locate the item and will let you know if the item is available for checkout. Learn more on how to use the MSM Library Online Catalog.