Health Care Innovations Day
Join us as we welcome UnitedHealth Group and Optum Ventures to share how insights, data and innovations are being used to help improve consumer outcomes, experiences and quality. This event aims to help students, residents and faculty identify careers and understand how to secure investments for startups and early-stage companies whose discoveries may help advance the health care system making it more reliable and easier to navigate.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Morehouse School of Medicine
Louis W. Sullivan National Center for Primary Care Auditorium
720 Westview Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Welcome and Introductions
- Remarks from Morehouse School of Medicine – Valerie Montgomery Rice, MD, FACOG, President and Dean, MSM
- Remarks from Larry Renfro, Managing Partner Optum Ventures and Vice Chairman UnitedHealth Group
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Session 1: MSM HealthTech and MedTech Entrepreneur Showcase
- Overview of HealthTech Innovation at MSM and Partnerships – Dr. James Lillard, PhD, MBA, Associate Dean for Research, MSM
“Shark Tank” with Dr. Lillard, Kirk Barnes, Richard Dale, Dr. Gebremedhin as judges
- Health Equity IQ – Sadia Sleweon, Terrence Alexander, and Daija Thibodeaux with mentorship from Arletha Williams-Livingston, PhD, MPH, MBA, Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, MSM
- Morehouse Telemed – Maya Tureaud and Michael Walker with mentorship from Walkitria Smith, MD, Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, MSM
- Health 360x – Elizabeth Ofili, MD, MPH, Professor Medicine, MSM
- Moyo – Herman Taylor, MD, Director, Endowed Professor, Cardiovascular Research Institute, MSM
- 10:45 a.m. – 11:00a.m.
- 11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Session 2: Resources for Funding
- Christalyn Rhodes, PhD, Associate, Flagship Pioneering (moderator)
- Sarah London, Operating Partner, Optum Ventures
- Dr. Dan Gebremedhin, Partner, Flare Capital Partners
- Kirk Barnes, Mentor, Advanced Technology Development Center
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
AUC Data Science Initiative
- Training the Next Generation for Careers in Data Science – Todd Greene, Executive Director, AUCC
- Democratizing Precision Medicine at MSM: Healthcare Delivery, Discovery & Education in Applied Bioinformatics and Health Informatics – James Lillard, PhD MBA, Associate Dean for Research Affairs, MSM
- Data & Analytics – Richard Hughes, Chief Strategy Officer, Global Human Capital, Optum
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Lunch Panel: Careers in HealthTech
- Richard Hughes, Chief Strategy Officer, Global Human Capital, Optum (moderator)
- Data & Analytics – Richard Dale, President, OptumLabs
- Enterprise Relationships – Sheryl Skolnick, Executive Vice President of Strategic Relationships, Optum
- Data & Analytics – Sarah London, Operating Partner, Optum Ventures
- 1:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- 1:45 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Session 3: Venture-backed Companies Success Stories
- Sheryl Skolnick, Executive Vice President of Strategic Relationships, Optum (moderator)
- Wim Van Hecke, CEO, Icometrix
- Michael Abramoff, Founder & Executive Chairman, IDx
- Dr. Ikenna Okezie, CEO, Somatus
- 2:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Closing – Sandra Harris-Hooker, PhD, Vice President and Executive Vice Dean, MSM
* Agenda is subject to change.
Parking information: External campus guest should plan to park at Morehouse College's parking deck one block from the Morehouse School of Medicine campus. The fee is $3.00-5.00.