Join The COVID Prevention Network
The Novavax trial is closed for enrollment, but other trials are forthcoming. Stay
Click to view trial participant photos on BBC News.
The Participant Experience – What is a Clinical Study?
Research studies that are safe and show promise in animals can move on to clinical studies in people. The COVID-19 Prevention Network (CoVPN) will be doing Phase 3 studies to find safe and effective vaccines and antibodies for prevention of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. These Phase 3 studies include participants who may be more likely to get the virus or become really sick with COVID-19.
What do we hope to learn from these studies?
- If people get COVID-19, does the vaccine control the illness so that it doesn’t become severe?
- Does the vaccine prevent new infections?
These vaccines and antibodies:
- Do not contain any real virus. Vaccines are made using synthetic copies of pieces of the virus.
- Cannot cause SARS-CoV-2 infection or COVID-19 illness.
What To Expect During The Study
- Most studies will need you to come to the research site about 10 times over one to two years.
- For each study you will get one to two injections or infusions. You will either receive the product we are studying or a placebo (a liquid with no active ingredients).
- You will keep track of how you feel for about a week after each infusion or injection. Study staff will also be in contact to check on how you are feeling throughout the study.
- We will not expose participants to the SARS-CoV-2 virus as part of the study, but people may still come in contact with the virus in their daily lives.
- If you get SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19 illness, our study staff will make sure you get the care that you need.
- You will be compensated for your time.
How Do I Volunteer?
We can only move forward with your help. If you are 18 years or older, here are the steps you can take to sign up.
STEP 1: Call 1-888-788-0644 or visit our website, www.PreventCOVID.org. Click “Volunteer Now,” which takes you to the CoVPN Volunteer Screening Registry.
STEP 2: Fill in the survey about yourself, your medical history, and your living and working environments. Use code “MORE” when asked for a site code. This information helps us understand your risks for getting sick with COVID-19. Remember, your participation is voluntary.
STEP 3: Thank you and congratulations! Your information is now added to the Registry. You will be matched to an available study if there is one in your area. If a local clinic contacts you, it could happen soon, or it may be in several months. If you are not contacted, it means there is no available study near you or that you are not a good match for a current study.