Bridges to Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship
June 10 – July 12, 2024
The Office of Online Education and Expanded Program offers a 5-week summer program built to expose motivated undergraduate juniors and seniors and post-baccalaureates to the biotechnology industry and bioentrepreneurship. The program structure is built on an integrated curriculum to introduce career readiness tools, process of drug development, biomedical data science, intellectual property, and bioentrepreneurship. Participants who successfully complete this 5-week summer program will receive a stipend and guaranteed admission into the Master of Science in Biotechnology (MSBT) degree program, along with a scholarship.
The goal of the MSBT program is to develop comprehensive knowledge in bioscience, core technologies, and entrepreneurial strategies used to support biotechnology enterprises. This 35-credit hour, 12-month online degree is designed to give students the flexibility to pursue advance training in biotechnology by offering comprehensive coursework and training needed for career advancement.
New discoveries in biotechnology are transforming life as we know it. This field intersects biology and technology that leads to new product development designed to enrich lives. From drug development to the production of biologics, plant and animal science to medical devices—biotechnology is everywhere. Biotechnology addresses many global problems such as climate change, aging, health equity, food production, and infectious disease to name a few. As a result, job growth of the biotechnology workforce is one of the fastest growing sectors globally (Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Minimum Academic Requirements:
- Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited undergraduate institution or current undergraduate junior or senior.
- Preferred major in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts or Mathematics with an expressed interest in healthcare or biomedical sciences. Other majors are welcome to apply.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.8
- Successful completion of college math and science courses
To apply, students must complete an online application that includes uploading:
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- A professional headshot
- Two recommendation forms.
- Unofficial Transcript(s)- Official transcripts must be submitted when applying for the Master of Science in Biotechnology . Please send Official Transcripts to email@example.com
- If you have collegiate coursework outside of the United States, upload an unofficial copy of the course-by-course evaluation. Please do not upload unofficial copies of transcripts outside of the United States without the evaluation.
- Completed essay (no more than 1 page) explaining why you are interested in the “Bridge to Biotechnology" and why you would benefit from this program.
Bridges to Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship Pipeline Curriculum
- Project Management
- Career Readiness/ Resume writing
- Data Visualization in Tableau
- Making Medicine: The process of drug development
- Intellectual Property in Biotechnology
- Lab safety and GLP, GCP, and GMP
- Biomedical Data Science
- Lean Start-up & Entrepreneurship
- Culminating Project “Value Proposition and Business Model of a Biotechnology”
Students selected to attend the Bridges to Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship Pipeline will receive:
- Guaranteed Admissions to the One-year online Master of Science in Biotechnology Program, along with a scholarship
- $500 stipend after completion of the summer program
- Career Preparation
- Interact with Biotechnology Subject Matter Experts
To maintain eligibility in the program, students must:
- Miss no more than two sessions
- Complete graded weekly assignments
- Complete research project
- Complete pre- and post-surveys
- June 10 - July 12, 2024
- Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. EST.
Please note: This program will be virtual with several synchronous sessions, so students will be expected to be engaged daily from 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
Mr. Eric Thompson for information!
Early Decision Deadline March 8, 2024
Application Deadllines May 5, 2024