Bridges to Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship
June 15–July 17, 2020
The Office of Online Education and Expanded Program offers a 5-week summer program built to expose motivated college students and post-baccalaureate professionals to the biotechnology industry and bioentrepreneurship. The program structure is built on an integrated curriculum of perfecting communication skills, career readiness tools and transforming biological processes into products. Participants who successfully complete this 5-week summer program are guaranteed admission into the Master of Science in Biotechnology (MS Biotech) degree program, along with a $1,000 scholarship from the United Negro College Fund.
The Master of Science in Biotechnology degree provides a foundation in the scientific and business components needed to advance biotechnologies. The goal of the MS Biotech program is to develop comprehensive knowledge in bioscience, core technologies, analytical methods, regulatory affairs and business development used to support biotechnology enterprises. This 35-credit hour, 12-month online degree is devised to give working professionals the flexibility to pursue advanced training in biotechnology by offering comprehensive coursework and training needed for career advancement.
New discoveries in biotechnology are transforming life as we know it. This field intersects biology and technology and continues to lead new product development and commercialization designed to enrich lives. From drug development to the production of biologics, from plant and animal science to medical devices—biotechnology is everywhere.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria by the application deadline:
- MacBook or PC and Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, and Excel)
- Current juniors or seniors interested in the field of biotechnology. A strong science or math background is preferred, or
- Post baccalaureates interested in pursuing a career in the biotechnology industry or one who has entrepreneurial interest
- Declared a major in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts or Mathematics with an expressed interest in health care or biomedical sciences. Other majors welcomed.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.8
- Have taken at least four science courses
- Two letters of recommendations- current students must be recommended by their current advisor or professor
- Completed application
- Transcript(s) (Official transcripts must be submitted when applying for the Master in Biotechnology Degree)
- Completed essay (no more than 1 page) explaining why you are interested in the “Bridges to Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship” and why you would benefit from being selected.
Bridges to Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship Pipeline Curriculum
- Research Basics
- Research Using Animal Models
- Research Using Human Subjects
- Developing the Basic Components of a Research Grant/Project
- Lab Safety and Etiquette
- Project Management
- Career Readiness/Resume Writing
- Making Medicines: The Process of Drug Development
- Lab Safety and GLP, GCP, & GMP
- Biomedical Data Science
- Lean Biotech Start-up & Entrepreneurship
- Culminating Project “Value Proposition and Business Model of a Biotechnology”
Students selected to attend the Bridge to Biotechnology Pipeline:
- Guaranteed Admissions to the One (1) Year Online Master of Science in Biotechnology Program, along with a $1,000 scholarship
- $500 stipend after completion of the summer program
- Career Preparation
- Interact with Biotechnology Subject Matter Experts
To maintain eligibility in the program, students must:
- Miss no more than two sessions
- Complete graded weekly assignments
- Complete research project
- Complete pre and post surveys
June 15 – July 17, 2020
Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Please Note: This program will be virtual with several synchronous sessions, so students will be expected to be engaged daily from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
Application Deadline is Friday, May 15, 2020