Bridge to Health Informatics
The Office of Online Education and Expanded Program offers a 5-week summer program built to expose motivated college students and post-baccalaureate students to the health informatics field. The program structure is built on an integrated curriculum of perfecting communication skills, career readiness tools and training in health information technologies and analytics. Participants who successfully complete this 5-week summer program are guaranteed admission into the Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI) degree program, along with a $1,000 scholarship.
This graduate pipeline summer program is your Bridge to the online MSHI degree that provides a foundation in business and technical components needed to advance health information technologies. The goal of the MS Health Informatics program is to develop knowledge and training in health information technologies, healthcare analytics, and their operations. This 35-credit hour, 14-month online degree is devised to give working professionals the flexibility to pursue advanced training in health informatics by offering comprehensive coursework and training needed for career advancement.
Health Informatics is very important in today’s healthcare industry. It combines the field of information technology, science, and medicine while improving patient outcome.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria by the application deadline:
- MacBook or PC and Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, and Excel)
- Current undergraduate juniors and seniors interested in pursuing a career in the health informatics field
- All declared majors are welcome.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.8
- Highly recommended have taken at least a research or statistics course
- Two letters of recommendations- current students must be recommended by their current advisor or professor. Letters of recommendations must be on a letterhead and signed.
- Completed Application
- Unofficial Transcript(s) Official transcripts must be submitted when applying for the Master in Health Informatics Degree
- Completed essay (no more than 1 page) explaining why you are interested in the “Bridge to Health Informatics” and why you would benefit from this program.
Bridge to Health Informatics Curriculum
- Health Informatics Overview
- Introduction to Health Informatics
- US Healthcare Systems
- Consumer Digital Health
- Public Policy & Health Informatics
- Legal, Ethical, & Social Issues
- Evidence Based Decision Making
- Project Management
- Career Readiness/Resume Writing
- Public Health Informatics
- Culminating Project “Health Informatics”
Students selected to attend the Bridge to Health Informatics Pipeline:
- Guaranteed Admissions to the 14-month Online Master of Science in Health Informatics, along with a $1,000 scholarship
- $500 stipend after completion of the summer program
- Career Preparation
- Interact with Health Informatics Experts
To maintain elgibility in the program, students must:
- Miss no more than two sessions
- Complete graded weekly assignments
- Complete research project
- Complete pre and post surveys
June 14 - July 16, 2021
Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Please note: This program will be virtual with several synchronous sessions, so students will be expected to be engaged daily from 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
Application Deadline is Friday April 23, 2021