Office of Research Development
The Office of Research Development (ORD) at Morehouse School of Medicine serves as a resource for researchers-faculty, staff, trainees, and students. Our Vision is to position researchers to become leaders in the Creation and Advancement of Health Equity by providing technical assistance in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating activities that facilitate scientific and educational research.
Our focus is on:
- Identifying potential funders and funding opportunities
- Providing technical assistance to faculty, post-doc and pre-doctoral learners and staff on research project development and proposal development
- Fostering internal and external communications and collaborations that lead to funded research that improves the health of the populations we serve
- Assisting with research strategic planning and pro forma development
Shelia McClure, PhD, Senior Associate Dean, Research Development email@example.com
Treasure Miller, DHA, MPH, Associate Project Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Banks, Administrative Assistant email@example.com
Finding Funding Opportunities
The Office of Research Development provides resources for identifying funding opportunities including:
- GrantForward – an online database of federal and private funding opportunities, as well as training and career development opportunities.
- e-Research Updates, the weekly newsletter of ORD, that lists selected funding opportunities and provides links to funding opportunity guides.
Current MSM faculty, learners, and staff can access the funding database and eResearch Updates via MSM Connect https://msmconnect.msm.edu/group/mycampus/research-development-resources
Grant Writing Courses
ORD offers the following grant writing classes to Morehouse School of Medicine faculty, learners, and staff.
Research Project Development and Proposal Writing Course
A 12-week course designed to strengthen research project development and grant writing skills. Participants will also improve their ability to find funding, read and understand requests for proposals (RFPs), develop a proposal budget, understand the peer-review system, and respond to reviewer's comments. During this course, critical areas of proposals will be given feedback so that they attain maximum impact. You'll emerge from the course with a polished project description or specific aims page, a draft of your research or program strategy, and a roadmap for developing the rest of your proposal.
CITI Essentials for Grant for Proposal Development
This on-line course provides a step by step guide to help simplify the grant writing process. It focuses on walking learners through the process one step at a time with in-depth instructions which includes videos, resources, and real-world examples. All faculty members, post-docs, research staff and other professionals engaged in the development and submission of grant proposals are encouraged to take this course.
For more information on these courses and other research development resources, contact the Office of Research Development. MSM employees can access resources provided by the Office of Research Development by clicking here.
Morehouse School of Medicine
Office of Research Development
Research Wing, Building D, Room RW131
720 Westview Drive SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30310-1495