Morehouse School of Medicine Breaks Ground on Hank Aaron's Tribute to Wife Billye Suber Aaron
On January 28, 2016, Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM) held a groundbreaking ceremony for the Billye Suber Aaron Student Pavilion. The pavilion's construction is funded by a $3 million gift from Henry Louis "Hank” Aaron and named for his wife Ms. Billye Suber Aaron, and a $3 million contribution from the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation. The pavilion will be an addition to MSM's Hugh Gloster Medical Education building.
Prior to the symbolic shoveling, several speakers spoke to a crowd of more than 150 faculty, students, staff and community leaders inside the lobby of the Hugh Gloster Medical Education Building, including: MSM President and Dean Valerie Montgomery Rice, M.D.; Atlanta City Councilwoman Cleta Winslow; GA State Representative The Honorable Calvin Smyre; MSM Vice Chairwoman of the Board Susan Grant; MSM 4th Year Master of Public Health candidate Brooke Staley; and Mrs. Billye Suber Aaron.
The pavilion construction represents Phase 1 of a four-phase planned academic and research facilities expansion undertaken by MSM to foster a collaborative and innovative environment while accommodating planned growth in class size. The academic expansion is a vital component of redevelopment efforts in southwest Atlanta and the Atlanta University Center as evidenced by the many local civic and community leaders who were in attendance:
- Honoree Henry "Hank" Aaron
- The Honorable Roger Bruce, GA State Representative - District 61
- Teresa Cummings, Chairperson, Women With Heart
- Joy W. Fitzgerald, President & CEO, Atlanta Housing Authority, and MSM Trustee
- P. Russell Hardin, President, Robert W. Woodruff Foundation
- Beni Ivey, Senior Advisor to the President, The King Center
- Erik S. Johnson, Secretary & Treasurer, Robert W. Woodruff Foundation
- The Honorable Shiela Jones, GA State Representative - District 53
- The Honorable Ronald Mabra, GA State Representative - District 63
- Ginny Phillippi, Senior Vice President, Suntrust Bank
- Brenda Reid, Media & Community Relations Manager, Publix Supermarkets
- Henry "Hank" J. Thomas, President, Victoria Hospitality Properties, and MSM Trustee
- Charmaine Ward, Senior Director of Community Affairs, Georgia Pacific
- John Wilson, Ed.D., President, Morehouse College, and MSM Trustee
Robert W. Woodruff Foundation President P. Russell Hardin, Morehouse School of Medicine President and Dean Dr. Valerie Montgomery Rice, Billye Suber Aaron and Henry ”Hank” Aaron, and Morehouse School of Medicine President Emeritus and Former Secretary of U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and President Emeritus Louis W. Sullivan, M.D. break ground on Billye Suber Aaron student pavilion to be constructed at MSM's Hugh M. Gloster Medical Education Building.
Morehouse School of Medicine President and Dean Dr. Valerie Montgomery Rice, Billye Suber Aaron and Henry ”Hank” Aaron.